Saturday, April 26, 2008

First day in Shanghai
















Wow, what a city!

I arrived in Shanghai on schedule. The plane ride was uneventful and good - very good service. I views from the plane at the approach to Shanghai showed what an incredibly large and industrial city this is. There were cargo many cargo ships, buildings, construction cranes....

The airport is just another airport (long walks, lines, etc etc). The officials that work both at the Hong Kong and Shanghai airport are soooooo serious and a bit intimidating. In fact at the passport check area in Shanghai, there are huge signs that say "Be quiet, no cell phones, no photography". The second two are common for the area but be quiet???

It's a long drive but pretty drive into town. The landscaping on either side is very attractive and blocks the view of what is beyond for the most part. In areas where I could see, I saw interesting architecture (housing and buildings). The driver must have thought i was nuts with all the pictures I was taking wizing by in a car. The buildings give Shanghai a Hong Kong feel only there is more space between the buildings and more planning to give the town visual interest. There is construction every where I looked - so many construction cranes.

The weather was pleasant, warm with a mild breeze. Very nice to walk in.

My sister lives in a two story apartment near the Xin Tian Di district. It's an apartment complex, with a lovely garden area in between the buildings. The apartment construction is very contemporary and the views are spectacular.

It's 4am right now and I want to get back to sleep. More updates & photos to follow (have to wake sister for usb cable - I haven't seen a place yet where i could buy one).

More info on Xin Tian Di here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xintiandi

2 comments:

smariek said...

What a funny sign at the airport. I guess this means you couldn't take a photo of the sign. If we don't hear from you in a while, we'll think you got arrested for a forbidden photo op.

Jonathan said...

Those are truely some of the nicest pictures yet, and that is saying alot because they are all good. You got lucky with that butterfly. What a terrific shot. I had no idea pepsi was so popular there. That is interesting. Keep the posts coming V. It sure looks like your enjoying yourself. I sure hope so. Have a terrific weekend. I look forward to your posts, but you know that already.