Sunday, May 11, 2008

Friday, May 9th

The agenda was to visit Lantau Island and see the big Buddha. I had to take the mtr (their subway) to Lantau island




This picture is from the subway train, looking up towards the bridge tower. The bridge is a double decker bridge with vehicles on the top level and the train below. The train takes you to Tung Chung and from there there are buses or the cable cars (see below) to get up to Ngong Ping (where the big Buddha and monastery are). I opted for the cable car ride.



I used to ride these things at Ocean Park, where it connected the lower portion of the park with the part behind the hill (I used to keep my eyes closed because it was just too scary for me to see the cliffs and sea below).


I was in there with 4 other people (carries 17, 10 sitting, 7 standing). My heart was beating so fast as I remembered my fear from the past but eventually that passed and I enjoyed being on there. It took about 20 minutes to get over to the top where the monastery and statue were at.








The cable car comes into what is called Ngong Ping village - it's really just a little mall with gift shops and restaurants (including Starbucks). The place had a Disneyland feel with the shops and shows, only it was around Buddha and China. The cable car exits right into a souvenir shop, like the disney rides do!





I looked around in the shops and then continued onto the the statue. It was a 5 minute walk to the base of the stairs that go up to the big Buddha. There were 268 steps upto the top. You know it's big when you first set eyes on it but it's something else to be right at the base looking up. I walked around the statue a few times, taking everything in (the statue and scenery) before deciding to go in. The main floor was open to everyone but you had to buy a ticket for the 2 upper floors. In hindsight, it was something I could have skipped but curiosity got the best of me, so I went for it. The inside was finished and made into exhibit space, but you could check out the the outside just a little higher from the main deck.











After a good look around, I headed back down and towards the Wisdom Path (15 minutes from the main area). At first I wasn't sure if I was headed in the right direction or if there was anything to see, since not too many people were going that way and the path was a bit deserted.






I did eventually come upon it. Basically it looked like a wooden stonehenge with "wisdom" carved into the wood (no translations!). It was interesting to see and the area was quiet and scenic.






I walked back to the main area for a bite and to see the monastery. The ticket I got to enter the Buddha included a snack at the cafe (noodles, dim sum and a drink) - the food was good and hit the spot.







It is Buddha's birthday on May 12th and there is a custom to bathe Buddha statues for his birthday. They also had some shows in honor of the event. I watched the prayer ceremony and the chinese acrobats. Lit some incense and said a few words to the big guy before heading back on the cable car.










When I was standing in line to get on the cable car, the guy behind me was telling his friends that when the cable car first opened, people would be stuck on for hours (great!!). Since the line wasn't very long, I got the cable car to myself (very cool). I was surprised to see one of the cargo like open cars with someone riding it (picture below). The whole experience was amazing!








It was a warm day and I got a little too much sun - my face is a bit red, the rest of me is a little tanned. I came home and took a shower. Dinner with my sister-in-law at a place called Ebenezeers - greek, middle eastern and indian food. We had falafels. We went to the park after dinner with the nephew.











3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Incredible, just incredible. I honestly had no idea it was such a beautiful place. You are awesome V.

smariek said...

I don't remember seeing that part of Hong Kong when I was there. I have the same issue with heights in those types of cable cars.

MLE said...

Awesome pictures V! I know I didn't see the big buddah when I was there...my parents were there to see family and friends. No time for touristy stuff =(.