Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 7th, Wednesday - Stanley Village

After my morning routine, I headed out for Aberdeen and Stanley (small towns on the far side of the islands). I remembered Aberdeen to be a quaint little fishing town and didn't recall ever having been to Stanley. I took a double decker bus there - it was a very nice & scenic ride. There were a few americans that sat up in the top front with me, turned out they worked for airlines, go figure!






This is the approach to the tunnel that runs under the harbor.




I had planned on going to Aberdeen first and then to Stanley but one look at Aberdeen and I just continued onto Stanley. Aberdeen was now fully developed and little remained of the old charm that I remembered.

Stanley was a pleasant surprise. Between the little market, the main street, the water front and pier, I kept forgetting that this was a part of Hong Kong. The weather was perfect, warm with a nice breeze. The people storekeepers were pleasant and not pushy at all. Parts of the area reminded me of Hong Kong from the 70s, other parts reminded me of Sausalito. I spent hours just taking it all in, including just hanging out at the pier.








This cat is hilarious! One of the storekeepers was playing with him, he likes to chase the guy around the store - so funny to watch. The guy would hide around the shelves and the cat would sneak up on him.... too funny.













After a bite and a frap at Starbucks, I took the bus back .

2 comments:

smariek said...

Too funny about the cat. Isn't it usually the other way around, where the cat hides and their human slaves seek?

Ok, I can't believe you went all the way to Shanghai/Hong Kong just to visit all the Starbucks branches there. LOL. You better come home with one of those Starbucks "city" series mugs from all the places you've travelled.

Jonathan said...

i like the boat mixed with the today world. there must be a great appreciation for the past. great shots there V.