Friday, May 2, 2008

Wednesday - Last day in Shanghai

Wednesday:

After my morning routine (plan for the day, coffee etc), I headed for the Jade Buddha temple.


It's a bit further out than the central part of town but didn't take too long to get to. It was quite crowded with tourists and worshippers. Despite all the people, it was a very serene place. There were a number of buildings with different settings, all with little cushions (like pews) for people to worship.































The temple didn't allow for incense or candles to be lit indoors and had a set up in the central courtyard for lighting and disposing of incense. There was a store to buy incense, ribbons etc. I wanted to get a ribbon but they were sold out so I lit some incense instead. There are two jade Buddha statues, one is upstairs and a lot more secure (they don't even want you taking pictures - sorry mine didn't come out too well). And another one downstairs of the reclining Buddha.



After the temple, I headed to the Antique Market. I used the address in the guide book I was using, which happened to be wrong, so I had to take another cab to the general area and look for it. It is completely possible that there are true antiques available, but mostly they were reproductions. So many fun things to see here.















After taking a lot of pictures here, I walked back to home base and went for lunch. On my way, I saw a butterfly and was lucky enough to picture it.





After the leisurely lunch, I took a long walk in an area where the locals shop and live.











1 comment:

smariek said...

That's a great shot of the butterfly!